I love cheese, all types, hard, soft, sharp and nutty. So when a sample box of Sartori cheeses showed up on my doorstep, I was in cheese heaven.
I immediately opened the cheeses because I was excited sample them all and they were all amazing and unique in their own way. The 3 cheeses that struck my taste buds the most were the rosemary & olive oil asiago, bellavitano gold and the sarvecchio parmesan. All rich and nutty along with the added rosemary made me think that the combination of these 3 cheeses would be outstanding in polenta.
A big bowl of creamy polenta is so comforting and the addition of these nutty and creamy cheeses were the perfect finish, giving a hint of rosemary. But I wasn’t finished there, I wanted to make the polenta into a complete meal, so I made my own Italian turkey sausage with toasted fennel seed and sage and this served as a great meaty topping. To finish the dish, I topped it with more cheese, baked until it was melted and bubbly, then topped with freshly chopped basil, the dish was complete.
3 cheese polenta casserole with Italian sausage print
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, add the fennel seed and toast over low heat until fragrant, remove and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium high heat.
- Add the ground turkey, breaking up the meat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes more until the onion is softened and the meat is browned.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, paprika, sage, fennel seed, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt.
- Cook until the meat is browned, add the chopped zucchini and cook.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken stock and milk, bring to a simmer.
- Add the yellow cornmeal whisk until combined.
- Cook at a very low simmer for about 15 minutes whisking occasionally until smooth and thickened for 30 minutes. If the polenta thickens too soon, add a little more stock or milk.
- Add all 3 cheeses and the butter, stir until combined.
- Place the casserole dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.