- 1lb chicken breast, diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 14oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 14oz can red kidney beans
- 1 14oz can white kidney beans
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt + pinch
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Over medium heat, add the chicken and a pinch of salt and sauté the chicken until brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil until softened and translucent over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute, taking care not to burn the garlic. Turn the heat to low, add the peppers, chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder and salt. Stir well to combine until the spices are fragrant.
- Add all the tomatoes, both kidney beans, beef broth, the chicken and any juices. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Taste for seasoning and add accordingly.
I like the use of the beef broth because I think it adds a depth of flavor.
*Suggested toppings: cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, chopped green olives